Sunday, 23 December 2012

Yemeni general may head ‘new unit’

SANAA: A powerful army general who lost a command in a military reshuffle seen as vital to stabilising Yemen may be given another senior post in the impoverished country’s armed forces, sources at the presidency said on Sunday.

Brigadier General Ahmed Saleh, whose Republican Guard was abolished in the shake-up ordered on Wednesday by his political rival, President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, is expected to be named as the commander of a military region, the sources said. Hadi has vowed to unify the army, which is divided between allies and foes of Hadi’s predecessor Ali Abdullah Saleh, whose legacy still looms large in Yemen and who is General Ahmed Saleh’s father.

Hadi’s decrees, restructuring the military into four main units and disbanding the Republican Guard, are widely seen as an attempt to reduce Saleh family influence in the military.

Ahmed Saleh has voiced no public objection to the reshuffle, easing fears of more turmoil in a country in the throes of a tense political transition.

Hadi’s decrees on Wednesday also abolished the First Armoured Division, led by General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, a dissident military officer who broke away from Saleh’s forces after the protests began last year. Ahmar welcomed the overhaul. A source at the presidential palace told Reuters on condition of anonymity that both Ahmed Saleh and General Ahmar would be given some senior positions in the new set-up.

“It is expected that President Hadi will issue a decree to appoint Brigadier General Ahmed Saleh and General Ali al-Ahmaras commanders for two military regions,” the source said.

The source said the implementation of Wednesday’s decrees could take up to six months, during which time both Ahmed Salehand Ahmar would remain in control of some military brigades.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress and Blogger Themes | Flash File | latest news | Tutorials | Blogger Tips